When people ask me “How do I create great content?”, my favorite response is “Put a cat on it!”. Cats are cute and they do hilariously weird things. Plus, everyone loves cats, right? What I’m getting at here is that content should be engaging and something that people want to see. Maybe it’s not technically a cat, but you get the idea.
Content comes in the form of text, images, video, audio, and more. When you’re building your content strategy, it should be done with your target market and your goals in mind. What are you trying to accomplish and who are you trying to reach? If putting a cat on it will get their attention and make them take the desired action, then go for it. If cats aren’t your thing, here are a few other tips for creating incredibly amazing, shareable content.
Content should be engaging. You can engage users with content that is:
- “How To” Content: Whether it’s how to clean or service the machines you sell, how to use your product, or how to do just about anything else, people love this type of content and search for it every day.
- Original Research: Do you have a super smart team of technicians or scientists? Share what they are doing in the lab and give readers a peek into their super-smart minds.
- Breaking News: It happens every day. If it’s relevant to your industry, product, or service, talk about it and share your point of view.
- Opinions: Everyone has one. If it’s relevant to the conversation, share it. You could use this to attract like-minded customers or provoke a discussion to raise awareness.
- Interview Influencers: If you’re attending a trade show or conference, take the keynote speaker out to lunch or drinks and ask them if you can feature them in an article on your website. Your readers might appreciate their perspective, and it shows that you are connected to important people.
- USP: What is your unique selling point? What makes you different and better than the competition? Talk about it!
- Passion: Share what you’re passionate about. Here at Bare Knuckle Digital and Red212, we’re passionate about socially conscious companies – and we talk about it a lot!
- User Generated Content: Use social networks to connect to your target audience and engage them. They could write reviews, add their own video content (e.g. unboxing videos, unique uses of your product, etc.), participate in a forum or add to a knowledge base, or enter a contest by contributing content.
Now do you have a few ideas for creating great content? If we’ve inspired you, share a link to some amazing content you created below in the comments! Thanks for reading!