We all know how important link marketing is to your SEO strategy. Quality, relevant websites must link to your website, and you should also be linking out to other relevant sites. After all, it’s called the World Wide WEB for a reason.
The internet is a place for sharing of information and we do that by linking to things. Okay, you get it and you embark on this link marketing journey, but how do you know if it’s really working?
Here are six tips on how to measure the results of your link building efforts:
- Referrer traffic – This is the most obvious place you should see results. After all, a link is there to be clicked, and if someone clicks a link to view your site, that’s trackable!
- Use unique URL’s (create custom URL’s for each campaign on a site such as bit.ly) to track clicks on your links. Where did you share the link? Did it get any clicks? You might share the same link on three different sites, somuse a unique trackable link on each one. Yes, you can find this info in Google Analytics in the referrer traffic, but if you setup a bunch of bit.ly links, you can quickly navigate to your bit.ly dashboard and see all the data right there.
- Increased rankings – If quality inbound links are supposed to help your SEO, then your organic search rankings should naturally increase. Find your average ranking overall and for specific keywords in the Google Search Console.
- Increased organic search traffic – If quality inbound links are supposed to help your SEO and your organic search rankings naturally increase, then your traffic should increase as well.
- Increased conversions – Set your objective for obtaining a link. Is it to increase leads, raise awareness,or drive more social media engagement or more comments on your blog? Measure those things. Are they increasing after you build some links aligned to these goals?
- Social media – Did you post your link all over social media? Did it increase visits from social platforms? Did that result in any new leads or actions taken on your site?
All of this data can be found in Google Analytics or Google Search Console. If you’re not familiar with those tools, no worries. That’s what an agency partner can do for you! Ask them these questions and they will appreciate you for being such a smart client!
A very common question is, “How long does it take to see results?”. It could take months or years to earn enough authority to rank for a keyword. It depends on how competitive that term is. How many other sites are trying to rank as well? Also, how many of them are true experts in their field? This is why so many businesses give up and say that link marketing doesn’t work. C
Consider this: an expert does’t just say something profound one time and then you never hear from them again. They are always producing great content – that’s why they’re an expert. Be consistent with creating great content and getting links to it (if you need a refresher, here are some tips) and keep an eye on your metrics. You will see results!